Bunkai - A Dojo 1.x interactive workbench


If you've followed my blog for a while, you know I have a pendant for visual designers. My last project - JDA Composer - tried to do too many things at once, and so it was hard to understand at first glance. Now I'm trying another tack, restricting me to just one thing - Dojo.

My goal is to create a small, comprehensive editor which shows things from two mutually communicating perspectives; 1) the html/js code editor, 2) The 'scree' area where dojo widgets show up.

What this means is that you'll be able to write something in the editor, click save, and it will be rendered immediately. But it also means that the rendered widgets will be editable (according to what properties the widgets (OK, dijjits :) have defined, moved about (if not restricted to a layout container) and resized (again, if allowed by layout). All changes in the visual side will immediately be communicated back to html source code in the editor.

That way, I hope it will be simpler to understand, and as a programmer you'll feel that you're in control, even though there is an element of visual composition.

Right now, I have only completed a proof-of-conecpt implementing the first part, which works quite all right. It's just two days work, after all.

Comments

Peter, the description and picture look really great, but where can we try it out, or at least see a video?
Script Uncle said…
Hi Tom. It's over a year old now, and not really maintained anymore. It's also very quickly slammed together, not my best work :) But it kind of works, still. I've moved it here;

http://genericwitticism.com/bunkai/bunkai/bunkai.html
Saty said…
Hi Peter, hope you continue working on this.. Looks promising.

Saty